[vdr] Re: VDR/UK Nova-T/dxr3 issues

On 04/04/03 13:16, Morfsta wrote:

Hi,

<snip/>

Also, I have seen this discussed before, but there appears to be problems with VDR/DXR3 and getting 16:9 broadcasts with the Nova-T in the UK. Whichever settings I use (4:3/16:9 in VDR/em3800setup) I can't seem to get a true 16:9 picture on my widescreen display - rather always 4:3 letterbox.
I think the problem here is a mis-match between what mpeg streams call 16:9
and what ther em8300 driver thinks is 16:9.

When a 16:9 stream is received the em8300 is put into 16:9 mode. I believe this
is wrong. Putting the em8300 into 16:9 mode results in the letterbox display
for 4:3 displays.

For a 16:9 stream on a 16:9 display the em8300 should be left in 4:3 mode.
I hacked this by changing the following line in the DXR3 plugins em8300.h from:
#define EM8300_ASPECTRATIO_16_9 1
to:
#define EM8300_ASPECTRATIO_16_9 0

For general use I guess this should somehow be linked to the TV setting
in VDR such that if the setting is for 16:9 then the above is defined as
zero.

Finally, I can't receive BBC2 from the Crystal Palace transmitter even though all the other channels are perfect (and I can receive it with the Windows Hauppauge app). Is there a problem with the channels.conf file? Does anyone know where I can get a technical list of frequencies and PIDs for the Freeview service? I can't seem to find them on the net... I tried using dvbtune and this seems extremely flakey, sometimes it finds channels and other time it completely misses them

You can find the actual channel numbers here:
http://www.itc.org.uk/uk_television_sector/reception_advice/digital_trans_guide/index.asp?region=show_all
go to the page for your transmitter top get the offset details and then...

this page tells you how to get the frequency from the channel number:
http://www.linuxstb.org/dvb-t/index.shtml

Which is: centre frequency = (UHF Channel Number)*8 + 306
Then add the offset.

I dunno where the PID's are documented, I wonder if they are the same across all transmitters.

Sim

I'd certainly appreciate it if anyone had some answers to these problems,

Cheers,
Morfsta

--
Simeon Walker,                      email: simeon@sbs.bangor.ac.uk
School of Biological Sciences,      phone: +44 (0)1248 383702