[vdr] AW: Re: vdr cuts recordings with ugly artifacts at cutting-points

> For now I vote for cutter2 because it does not remove anything from the
> input file. Later a more sophisticated tool could use all data
> available to produce a perfect result (if someone really needs this).

on the obne hand there are always perfectionists that will want this and on
the other hand someone ight want to use vdr in a production environment,
where its either perfect solutions or none.

> There is another problem with audio cutting which will prevent us from
> getting a clean audio cut: If you join two audio recordings without
> further processing, you will always notice something like a click or
> chirp. This happens because the audio amplitude at the cutting point is
> not zero. We have to modify the audio packets before and after the cut
> to fix this. I think this is beyond the scope of this patch.

there is no such problem in digital audio cutting. for instance a
saw-tooth-signal (synthesizers and even actually violins) drops from full
amplitude to zero amplitude in zero time. a speaker can of course never
follow that signal, but it would also never cause a click or something. no
worrie here.

/jc