[vdr] Re: maximum cable length for wintv nova-s

Claas Hilbrecht wrote:
>>[ wintv-nova-s maximum cable length ]

>> the nova-s has no on-board mpeg decoder so unless you have not a
>> second card in your system that has an on-board mpeg decoder then you
>> won't be able to record properly.

>I know that the nova-s has no mpeg decoder. The nova-s card (or more
>precise two of them) will be installed in a central vdr server which
will
>only do recordings. With version 1.1.27 vdr will startup without a
>full-featured card and recordings will work.

So that means that you have to use an software mpeg decoder and I do
wonder if Klaus
did implement that in any version of VDR since VDR was ment for cards
with hardware MPEGencoder.
You didn't mention systems specs but software decoding needs a fast
system.

On tuner quality:
Yes, the tuner in the Nokia D-box is more sensitive but you should get
no mpeg stream interrupts
unless the signal is simply to weak (use a signal strength meter),
there's an obstruction
between sat and dish, the LNB does not work properly, the computer is
too slow.
You should check the signal strength first, if that's okay, double check
the F-connectors... okay..

if you still have a problem with the nova, then it's related with your
computer or configuration error of Linux.