[vdr] Re: Easy convert .vdr files to dvd(mpeg2) ?

> I donīt generally recommend to transcode video streams if they donīt
> have a resolution of 720/704x576.

other people would recommend a transcode
(btw 352x576 and 352x288 is also DVD but i have not seen any station using this for DVB)

> If you have a recordings e.g. with a resolution of 480x576 (RTL, SAT.1
> Germany etc.), I would recommend you to use a tool like DVDPatcher for
> Windows (http://kickme.to/DVDPatcher; donīt know if there is a similar
> tool for Linux or if it works with wine) and patch the
> resolution of the
> file to 720x576 or 352x576). The do a DVD authoring and finally patch
> the resulting VOB files back to 480x576.
>
> Nearly all stand alone players seem to work with 'patched' video files
> although this is non-standard, so I would give this a try first before
> transcoding and losing lot of image quality.

i donīt know what players you tested but my impression was that cheaper models (yamakawa, raite, cyberhome) are more likely to work then brands like pioneer, philips, ...

its somehow the same like the discussion about svcd with higher bitrate then 2500 kB/s and 48kHz sound - some player do other donīt

you could have a lot of fun when your current standalone breaks and you need a replacemant