[vdr] Re: DVB over emu10k1 !?

Armin Janssen schrieb:
On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:51:13 +0200
Dieter Bloms <dieter@bloms.de> wrote:

Hi Dieter!

Hi Armin,

On Tue, May 06, Armin Janssen wrote:

Is there a way to send the sounf from the DVB-card (1.3) to an
emu10k1 soundcard and then to an 5.1 soundsystem?
I've running an vdr-1.1.30 and it works realy good, but sound only
in stereo :-(
Can anyone help me?

unfortunately our heros (the developers) all seem to have
DD Hardware (recievers) so nobody realy cares about soft-decoding
AC3 to 5.1 analog output (allthough CMI87xx as well as SB5.1
have good oss or alsa 6 channel output),
and a52dec or mplayer seems to be installed on all vdr's i have seen so far.
even the -a option of vdr (which worked somehow if you managed the delay, manual volumecontroll of the digital out with external software,
and some other minor trouble) seems to be neglected in the new versions.

i think thats because of the uncertain legal status, technically there is no obstacle i can see.

a52dec uses 1-5% cpu on an 850Celeron, mplayer evev usese only 1-2% cpu,
so i wounder why people want to by AV3-Hardware decoders.
I personaly feel, t6hat i have payed for DD as i bought an SB5.1,
since it decodes AC3 under Windows, using only Creative drivers/soft.

You can record AC3 movies and convert them to divx+ac3 and then
(ofter passing some obvious params) mplayer will decode your ac3 to
5.1 analog channels.

I thought of begging the ac3-bitstreamout developer to make it possible
to redirect the (hopefully synchonised/synchonisable) stream to some
other prog (mplayer can handle any kind of [legal] ac3-stream).

but then i took the easy way (because of trouble in volumecontrol)
an use oss drivers for SB5.1 an the "emu-script" to setup 5.1 anlog
and active dolby-prologic decoding, since only very few movies actulally have 5.1-AC5 most have DD-2chan-stereo (like Lambock) which makes a
good sound on my 5.1 boxes, so only ac3-divx gets real soround :-)

Regards Onno

P.S.
most peaple will advise you to install various patches, AKAIK
none of those is for analog AC3 output (AC3overDVB,AC3-Bitreamout)

P.P.S.
the line for mplayer to decode ac3 is (try with vdr -a option on replay of an ac3-vdr-recording):
"mplayer -cache 12 -vo null -vc dummy -af surround -channels 6 \ -rawaudio on:format=0x2000 -ao oss -ac a52, - "

and this is for a52dec:
"a52dec -o oss6"

if you use the plugin bitstreamout, you only need the alsa driver
(0.9.2 works great for me).

what do i need to install it? are there any hardware-modifications to
do? i've installed the alsa-driver but i don't get sound.
my system includes a dvb-s-1.6 (not 1.3 as i said ...)
an soundblaster live 5.1 (emu10k1)
and i want the sound from vdr on the 5.1 system plugged in the soundcard
, you know what I mean?
I there a way to do it?
Thanks Armin

--
Gruß

 Dieter

address-book so that WHEN you get a virus it won't use my address in
the From field.