[vdr] Re: Shutdown frontend for saving power and heat

> You have to set the "dvb_shutdown_timeout=0"-option for
> "dvb-core.o"-module. When you have installed DVB-driver edit your
> modules.conf, if you use insmod-scripts edit the Makefile, section
> insmod.
>
> "0" disables power-management, any other value is the timeout in
seconds
> after which the tuner-frontend is shutdown when device is released by
> the software.
>
> But VDR doesn't support this. So you have to stop VDR completely to
> release the device.

Does anybody know if it is possible to set the VDR station into sleep
mode (suspend to disk or suspend to ram)?
IMHO this would be a great solution if you do not only want to install a
basic VDR system but also a general purpose Linux system with VDR.
Currently, I use a full install with KDE etc. and the system takes
around one minute to start up which is far to long. I know that I can
optimize this by modifying the start scripts and removing unnecessary
packages, but nevertheless I don´t know if a 24h/7d system is really
necessary when boot time is shorter - this additionally saves energy and
might also save the life of the system parts, especially the hard
disk(s)...

Jörg