[vdr] Feature request: Must we split recordings between disks?

The way VDR creates directories on the first disk (e.g. video.00) and
links to .vdr files on the other disks (e.g. video.01) is not very tidy
- if I want to rename or move a recording (which I nearly always do), I
have to move files around on two filesystems and fix the broken symbolic
links afterwards.

How would it be if the directory and all of it's files were created on
whichever disk has the most free space? The player would then have to
check all disks when "scanning recordings"...

Problems:
- VDR would not be able to split a single recording over several disks.
Is this a problem with the size of today's disks?
- Scanning recording could be slower. But this could possibly be nicely
parallised...

What do you think? Such a change would also be backwards compatible...

Cheers,

Matt Tovey