[vdr] DVD ripping to vdr files

I tried to make copies of my DVDs and store them as VDR files yesterday but ran into some problems.

First I used vobcopy (and later also dvdbackup with the same result) to get the VOBs from my lord of the rings extended edition DVD to my HD.

I then made VDR directory structure for the VOBs and renamed them to 001.vdr, 002.vdr etc.
Then tried to run genindex to genererate index.vdr. I only got loads of error messages saying "Error while scanning file 001.vdr, broken mpeg file?".

Ok, that was not good I though, but let's try to play it anyway without index. That played the video fine, but no sound was heard.

Anyone who has a any explanations of this?

/Martin Altemark