[vdr] Re: DVD (plugin) playback stutter

John Grant wrote:

> One of the (many) things I hoped would just go away when I moved to a
> newer PC
> was the audio stutter on DVD playback. Alas I still have it...
>
> I've looked at the usual hdparm stuff and all looks OK. Not all DVDs
> exhibit the
> problem, but for those that do, there isn't much "viewing pleasure". I
> noticed that
> mplayer had some data rate options, but I can't see anything similar in
> the plugin.
>
> Any suggestions ?

I used to be able to play DVDs just fine, but the last two have
stuttered badly (no sw or hw changes that I know of).

My CPU load is high (133MHz pentium), so that might be it. I've had some
success with:
echo 'current_speed:1 > /prov/ide/hdh/settings'

I've had no success with moving the drive between IDE channels or
between IDE master/slave.

I tried yesterday to copy a CD to disk in this DVD-ROM drive, and it
failed with an IO error, so a HW problem in the drive is a possibility.

When it stutters, I get 'kernel: buffer empty' messages, and sometimes I
get IO errors too, and the using_dma options turns itself off... sound
familiar?

Just my two cents...

Cheers,

Matt