[vdr] Re: Problem with shutdown behaviour

"Robert R. Simons" wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 05:34:13PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > VDR developer version 1.1.32 is now available at
> [snip]
> > So, if there are any serious bugs that you think should be fixed before version 1.2.0,
> > please report them in a separate message with a descriptive subject.
> >

> Hi Klaus,
>
> As I have reported earlier on this list, there is a behaviour of VDR
> that I consider to be a serious bug:
>
> When I press Power during or shortly before a recording, VDR will prompt
> me with some warning.
> Now I press OK to override this warning "shutdown anyway".
>
> But: Nothing happens.
>
> VDR doesn't shutdown because:
>  A wakeup time is sent to the shutdown script that is too early.

But that's the problem of the shutdown script, isn't it?

> This is bad because:
>  - VDR didn't do what I told it to do (not a serious flaw, but...)

VDR did exactly what you told it to: it called the shutdown script!
If the shutdown script doesn't do what you tell it, that's a different story.

>  - I share a line with an analog receiver. If my VDR doesn't shutdown,
>    either VDR gets unstable (I may loose recordings for this week)
>    or the analog receiver can't receive (I will loose all recordings,
>    because the users will unplug VDR or shut it down or do worse).
>
> A solution:
>  When, on shutting down, a user clearly overrides a timer, the
>  next timer after this should be sent to the shutdown script instead.

The user doesn't "override a timer" - he merely confirms that the shutdown
should be done even though there is a recording about to start in a few minutes.

> An implementation of this is available at:
>
>  http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~robert/VDR/vdr-1.1.28-shutdown.time-0.2.diff.gz
>
> Patch with :
>   patch -p4 < zcat vdr-1.1.28-shutdown.time-0.2.diff.gz
> in the VDR directory.
>
> This patch was developed and tested on vdr-1.1.28, and seems to work
> up to version 1.1.31 (I use it with these versions).
> It can be applied to vdr-1.1.32 and will probably work with it, too.

Unless I'm missing something here (I have to admit that I didn't explicitly
try it) this patch modifies the way VDR currently is defined to work. It would _always_
skip the next timer, even if it is, say, 10 minutes in the future and the user just
wants to shut down VDR for some 2 minutes to, for instance, re-route the supply
cable or whatever. So if we were to make this change there would have to be an
additional confirmation, asking the user whether he really wants to _skip_ the
next timer. However, it's already too late to change this for the final 1.2.0.
Please provide such a patch after 1.2.0.

Klaus