[vdr] VDR without DVB card?

Hello,

I am rather new to this whole VDR project, so please excuse me if I miss
the obvious.

I currently use a dbox2 with neutrino to record/grab DVB-T material.
Unfortunately the current software does not permit playback of video
streams, even in 'native' format, which brings me here:

Before I go and buy (another) dvb-c reciever, I'd like to play around
with VDRs playback abilities via the mplayer plugin by using only a Dxr3
or Hollywood+ card. Is this setup possible? Will the software even load
without a DVB-tuner and can I use the UI to playback DVD/VCD/etc?

This information would be very helpful as I might want to add a (budget)
card for DVB-T later, but for now just get a grip on the software.

Thanks!

Regards...
Fabian