[vdr] Re: OT: DD-Receiver/Amplifier

Hi Stefan,

Some comments & ideas

> 1) Which DD-Receiver fits best to vdr?

I like my Denon 3802. 7.1  channel (plus I have another
Onkyo, so even if they decide to go for 8.1 or whatever,
I'm still set ;o)) The Denon can run loudspeakers from
16 ohms down to 2 ohms w/o changing THD very much.
At 4 ohms you get 170W Sinus per channel.

> 2) What Power (Watts) is needed to hear DD-Sound with high quality?

Power itself says nothing. 10W is more than enough. However, if
you are planning on true Home Theater, you'll want reserve Power
for the Bass. This means the amps PSU *must* be of very low impedence
so that the supply voltage doesn't break down, when you get a gut
shaking bass impuls. Good amps use traditional iron core transformers.
The heavier the better. If the amp only weighs 10 (US) lbs, run away
from it. If it says something like SMPSU & weight reduced. RUN
away and kill the salesman that wants to sell this to you. If it sports
a (e.g.) 1000W output, but has a wall rating of 350W RUN away.
That's total nonsense cheap junk.

*I* personally favor either Onkyo or Denon. *I* don't like Yamaha
amps as they have to much "Ruhestromrauschen".Technics used to
make good amps. I don't know how they favor when it comes to
DD or DTS amps.

> 3) I want to hear my MP3s with it, also in a good quality! (the room is
> somethng about 35qm)!

Okay, that's the same size as my room (actually your room is 2qm smaller)

> 4) Which Speakerset should I buy? Again producer, type, source, price?

Build your own ;o)) It takes time, a good ear and some experience, and a lot
of math, tinkering and reading soundgrams but it will save you money. My
present Home Theater consists of:

(leaving out other equipment)

- Electrohome 8500 8" CRT Beamer (picture 2,60 x 1,90m ;o)

- Denon 3802 amp
- Onkyo SV 616 (as backup)

- Two homebrew main LS consisting of each
   1x 300mm Woofer
   1 Midrange
   2 Ferrofluid Tweeters

   These LS are sealed units and highly dampend. If I push the 300mm Woofer
   inward, it takes about 1,5-2 seconds for it to come back out.
   wadded inside
   F0res is 25 Hz.
   Lin frequency (3dB): 28-22000Hz
   Size: 760mm x 290 x 365mm

- 380mm bass reflex Subwoofer.
  Middlehard membrane
  dedicated subwoofer amp (75W)
  not baffeled
  stabilizer cross inside
  wadded walls
  Fres: 20Hz
  Frequency: 20-150Hz
 (true crossover from my Denon at 80Hz because of the big front LS)
  Size: 550mm x 450 x 450mm
  Bass reflex opening: Tunneled form (not 100% set on exact size yet)
  and opening facing forward

- Center LS
   170mm Woofer, Midrange & Tweeter
   Closed design, not baffeled but wadded
   (overkill for a center box, but what the heck ;o))
   Frequency: 80-10 khz)
   Size: 380mm x 190 x 255mm

- 2x Background LS:
  150mm Sub-Mid & Ferrofluid cooled tweeter
   Bass reflex with opening in the rear
   wadded
   LS is mounted with a space between the rear and the wall
   Frequency: 60-21000Hz
   Size: 270mm x 180 x 190mm Trapizoid form

- 2x Surround LS:
  165mm Sub-Mid & tweeter
   Sealed design
   wadded
   Frequency: 100-18000Hz
   Size: 320mm x 165 x 210mm

All LS built with MDF ranging from 16 to 22mm. The main front and the
surround LS are covered with stretch cloth, wheras the rest have open
LS. Of course VDR is only *one* of my sound & video sources ;o))

Greetz,
Reinhard