[vdr] Re: DS.JAR development stopped, but source code now available (GPL)

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:36:16AM +0200, Jörg Knitter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as there is a new thread on PVAStrumento, I wanted to mention on this
> list that a new (and final) version of DS.JAR is out. It is called X08
> and you can get the source code e.g. at
> http://www.radonmaster.de/robernd/tools. For all of those who are not
> able to compile it on their own, visit
> http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=4072&sid=06b852c41c575
> 286748b0ce8d2023c65 to get a compiled version.
> According to the Readme and dvb.matt, this is the last version of
> DS.JAR. It will no further be developed, but it is now under GPL, so
> developers are free to enhance it and port it.
> One of the great new features is the preview window that you can use for
> cutting. Unfortunately, the marks.vdr can not be imported (AFAIK, is
> there any possibility to convert the time in the marks.vdr into GOP
> numbers?).
>
> PVAs (at least the 'old' 2.0.30) gives me some messages like 'no integer
> A/V sync' so I rely more on DS.JAR than on PVAs - maybe Wiljo can
> comment on this as PVAs is still easier to use :-).
>
> There is one thing I don´t understand: The biggest advantage of DS.JAR
> is IMHO that you can cut theoretically without dropping audio frames at
> cut points. But if you cut with VDR (and not with DS.JAR), DS.JAR has to
> fill missing audio frames. When the new cut algorithm in VDR was
> discussed, people told on this list that no audio frames are being
> deleted but just marked as not valid. So why then DS.JAR has to fill
> frames? Does it ignore the marked frames?

Simply because the muxed stream from VDR is _not_ in sync, that
means that the audio and AC3 frames within a GOP do _not_ not
belong to the video frames.  This offset is clearly visible if you
use xlist or similar tools to compare the PTS times of each frame.
Beside the B-frames (which belongs to frames _before_ current
picture time).

After cutting out commercials and if if you try to this _exactly_ as
this is poosible within the GOP limit ...  you will hear this.
This because the cutter of VDR simply cuts at the GOP boundaries regardless
of the wrong audio/ac3 alignment.

You may search for my message send to this list with the
ID <20030624184843.GA19153@boole.suse.de> for more informations
about that and how it may be solved (if @Klaus accepts such changes ;^).

      Werner