[vdr] Re: migration to 1.2.2

Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> Meanwhile i found time to go from 1.0.4 to 1.2.2.
>
> Works really good!
>
> Good work done!
> Thanks!
>
> I was much easier to convert than it sounds.
>
> Downloaded vdr,dvb-driver,single-LNB patch, new lirc
> Made a new kernel 2.4.21
> All ran "out of the box"!
>
> Only one problem occurs:
>
> I have an old channels.conf (Because in my world "ARD Das Erste"
> has to be on button "1" not "RTL" ;-))
>
> I simply copied it over the new channels.conf
>
> That was a bad idea...(i found later)
>
> VDR starts as expected, ARD is selected.
> When i now try to switch to "1" i got
> "invalid channel" on the screen and no name for the channel.
>
> /var/log/messages does not complain about anything.
>
> but /var/log/syslog shows those lines:
>
> vdr[3348]: loading /video/channels.conf
> vdr[3348]: ERROR: channel data not unique!
> vdr[3348]: ERROR: error in /video/channels.conf, line 133
> vdr[3348]: loading /video/timers.conf
> vdr[3348]: ERROR: channel 10 not defined
> vdr[3348]: ERROR: error in /video/timers.conf, line 1
>
> "ERROR: channel data not unique!" ?
>
> Ok, i had appended "old but formerly known" channel entries to
> the end of the script "for future reuse" and
> i had several entries in several groups
> for example all "vert" channels made a separate group
> and all "horz" too, channels are grouped
> for channel hopping and themes too (all music channels together,
> all stock exchange channels together regardless of languages,
> all france language together etc.).
>
> I was _very_ surprised that this causes VDR to discard the entire
> channels.conf but still loads! I really did not expect that because
> the reason is not obvious for me as user: why i should not make
> double entries (i found it very convient).
> Because VDR seems to start I assumed that those dupes has been
> gracefully ignored...but VDR was not operable in this state!
>
> Ok, i found a script (Christian Pesch, Wed, 05 Jun 2002 17:48:02 +0200,
> Resort channels.conf) that rearranges the new channels.conf and throwsaway
> all dupes.
>
> But still there was a
> "ERROR: channel 31 not defined"
> a "wc -l channels.conf" gives 158 or so.
>
> After some counting i found that lot of my "old" channels
> were not in the new channels.conf (only 28 made the way)
> and that a ":@201" force a jump from 28 to 201 in numbering...
>
> removed the :@201 and all was well.
>
> And is still!
> No hangs, no reboots, no (real)problems!

I believe I wrote a lot about all this in the file UPDATE-1.2.0:

  In order for the "unique channel ID" to work, all channel definitions now must
  be unique with respect to the combination of their Source, Frequency and SID
  parameters. You may have to fix your 'channels.conf' manually if there are error
  messages in the log file when loading it. BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR
  'channels.conf' AND 'timers.conf' FILE BEFORE SWITCHING TO THIS VERSION, AND CHECK
  VERY CAREFULLY WHETHER YOUR TIMERS ARE STILL SET TO THE RIGHT CHANNELS!

So this shouldn't have come as such a big surprise... ;-)

Klaus