[vdr] Re: pvastrumento -> tmpgenv -> mpeg -> wrong aspect ratio

Jörg Knitter wrote:
>>I'm trying to convert my vdr Files with pvastrumento (split them into
>>video and audio file) and then tried to produce a mpeg file with tmpgenc.
>>Result is a video which is lipsynchron but the aspect ratio is wrong.
>>
>>The original recording is 480x576 with 4:3.
>>Then I choose a PAL resolution in tmpgec and convert it.
>>
>>Is there a walk through concerning those two program or someone who would
>>like to share his settings?
>>
>>(no I don't need tips to use linux for it).
>

> First of all: I also use Windows because of their advanced SVCD and DVD
> authoring tools. Additionally, more MPEG cut tools with smart rendering (i.e.
> frame accurate cuts; currently IMHO the only tools are Cyberlink PowerDirector
> and M2Edit Pro) will be available soon - but they will also be commercial. But
> it´s a first step in the direction of a getting perfect recording ;-)
>
> Nevertheless: According to your aspect ratio problem there are two great
> tools available (use Google, not difficult to find). The first one is ReStream,
> and this takes MPEG2 files and you can edit some parameters like aspect
> ratio. The second one I recommend is DVDPatcher, which can also patch VOB files.
> The last one is used if you want e.g. to author a DVD from SVCD files (which
> is playable on most stand alones). Then you have to patch 480x576 to 720x576,
> author the DVD and then patch the resolution back to 480x576. :-)

This is the way I usually do it too. It works and avoids the time
consuming recoding step. The only disadvantage I found is that the
thumbnails in the DVD menues have the wrong aspect ratio (at least with
TMPGEnc DVDAuthor).

I've recoded a 480x576 4:3 recording with black bars on the top and
bottom to 720x576 16:9 with the black bars cutted (72 lines at the top
and the bottom of the original picture) which kept the correct aspect
ratio and lets you view the movie in pan/scan format without black bars
on a 4:3 screen. If you want I can send you the TMPGEnc template file
for this via PM. It could be a starting point for a 4:3 to 4:3 recoding.

> P.S.: Last time I used PVAStrumento, I had many problems. I recommend to use
> DS.JAR alias known as X080d as demuxer.

I use ds.jar on Linux and Windows. It works well (a little slow on
Windows) and gives useful information about the mpeg stream like the
average bitrate which you can use as VBR bitrate in TMPGEnc if you want
to keep the output file approx. the same size as the input file.

Wolfgang