[vdr] Re: Switching off

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>Ralf Klueber wrote:
>>
>> > I  don't think there is actually a menu option. but you can
>> > define a power button  on  your remote control. If you don't
>> > have enough buttons, you can put a command sending "HITK
>> > Power" to VDR in the commands menu.
>>
>> As far as I know thats not as easy possible. As I remember VDR "hangs"
>> when using svdrpsend directly within the commands.conf.
>>
>> @Klaus is this still true for the 1.2.5pre1?
>>
>> But within Linux there is always a way to go ;-). The following line
>> within commands.conf will do the trick.
>>
>> Switch off: echo -e "/path/to/svdrpsend.pl HITK Power" | at -now
>
>That's pretty much the way to go. While executing a command the SVDRP
>port is not served, so you need to allow the command to return before
>accessing SVDRP.

Isn't starting vdr with:

	vdr --shutdown=/usr/bin/sudo shutdown -h now

a valid option too? Thus the user can easily shutdown the box, and I
assume that VDR asks for confirmation before actually shutting down. This
assumes that the user has setup some nice /etc/init.d/runvdr script that
knows how to kill VDR in a nice way and that the option "Min. user
inactivity" is set to 0 to avoid unwanted shutdowns.

I haven't done this yet, so it may not be an ideal way.

--

        Most gods find it hard to walk and think at the same time.
                                             -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods