[vdr] Re: Digital+ subtitles

--On den 5 september 2003 11:21 +0200 jvilasub@tinet.org wrote:

I don't understand this - is this when watched using an ordinary
TV set, or what do you mean?
I mean using teletext PID in VDR and reading it via TV set.
Ok. This is really weird! Of course it could be the teletext
stream being non standard somehow, but that seems silly.
It could also be the TV set not having an entirely bug free
decoder - which seems rather unusual, but at the same time,
having implemented a bit of a teletext decoder myself,
I can imagine such a thing could exist. :-)

I wrote that it is ttxtsubs and not VDR that does the
teletext handling. Used like this, that is of course not true.
If I have understood things correctly it is actually the
firmware in the full featured cards that does the work, so it
is neither linux driver nor VDR, they only tell the firmware
what pid to use.

As an example, Taquilla 2 has TPID 62 (got it from ProgDVB). Once
removed TPID from channels.conf (to avoid a possible conflict between
VDR and ttxtsubs plugin)
There should be no problem having a TPID set while using
ttxtsubs, but if ttxtsubs decides to read and decode the data,
you won't get it out on the signal to the TV set anymore.
That is a "feature" of the firmware and maybe even the
hardware as I have understood it.

and tuning to that channel, this is what's
printed on stdout:
ttxtsubs: Found non HI subtitles on PID 62, page 888
but, if I retune that channel...:
ttxtsubs: Found non HI subtitles on PID 53, page 888
and that "PID 53" (TPID for Taquilla 4, same transponder) can turn
into "PID 50" (TPID for Taquilla 15) if I restart VDR, etc.
This is really strange indeed, I have never heard of that
problem. The service information parser isn't really perfect,
maybe garbled data can fall trough somehow. But, this
information is now supposed to be cached (within the life
of a VDR run), so if you are getting different results
each time you tune to one particular channel within
a single VDR run something really strange must be going on.
BTW, I am hoping to replace my SI parsing hack with VDRs
own SI parsing in VDR 1.3, but until VDR parses those things,
ttxtsubs must have its own way to do it.

Also, sometimes, stdout (stderr) message is:
ttxtsubs: Subtitles for language "spa" not found on channel, available
languages: esl
Ttxtsubs, as it can't find such a "esl" language, it just displays
nothing on TV. "esl" doesn't appear on ttxtsubs.c.
Isn't it all weird?
This is actually a(nother) shortcoming in the current ttxtsubs
that should be fixed. "esl" is the language it finds in the
Service Information, but it doesn't understand that it is
what you want.
When I wrote that I thought that the ISO 639-2 labels always
were in English versin, but they aren't, they can also be the
native language version. "esl" is most probably an abbreviation
for Espaniol. So for Spanish, ttxtsubs should look for either
"spa" or "esl".
If you want to try it you can edit your setup.conf (in your
video dirextory) and set ttxtsubs.Language = esp.
If you want to have them both you will currently have to hack
it up yourself. I am hoping to find the time to fix this and
a bunch of other things soon.

Sorry that I can't help much to explain that weird behaviour,
but I hope you at least now have a starting point to find it
out yourself! Good luck!

/ragge