[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:06:32 +0300, Lauri Tischler
<lauri.tischler@efore.fi> wrote:

> I've been using reiserfs for /video for sometime now,
> appears to work ok.
> Now I'm about to add some more disk into the box.
> Any pros or cons about reiserfs versus ext3 ?

I am a bit late, but may be it helps. I have recently upgraded my server
to 6 250 GB disks in Raid5 configuration. During this process I
evaluated ext3, reiserfs and xfs. For tests I used the bonnie. The
result was that ext3 was the best compromise. Reiserfs was slow on
writes but very fast on file creation/deletion. XFS had a similar
read/write speed as ext3 but was DEAD slow on file creation and
deletion. File deletion must be fast because VDRs file removal in the
background may block other actions.

I had used Reiserfs for more than 2 years. I had some file losses with
an older Reiserfs. I now switched to ext3 completely and had no problems
so far. I have disabled the fscks with tunefs.

Emil