[vdr] Driver no longer loading at boot.

For over a year I have been starting VDR at bootup using this added to my rc.local file:

#Start lircd
/usr/local/sbin/lircd
#Start vdr
/usr/local/bin/runvdr -v /var/video -s /usr/local/bin/pm &

runvdr has been slightly modified to suit file locations:

DVBDIR="/home/rs/DVB/driver"
VDRPRG="/usr/local/bin/vdr"
VDRCMD="$VDRPRG -w 60 $*"

LSMOD="`/sbin/lsmod | grep -w '^dvb' | wc -l`"
KILL="/usr/bin/killall -q -TERM"

# Load driver if it hasn't been loaded already:
if [ $LSMOD -eq 0 ] ; then
(cd $DVBDIR; make insmod)
fi

while (true) do
su -c "$VDRCMD" $VDRUSR
if test $? -eq 0; then exit; fi
date
echo "restarting VDR"
$KILL $VDRPRG
sleep 10
(cd $DVBDIR; make rmmod; make insmod)
date
done

Yesterday, I updated from kernel 2.4.19 -> 2.4.22 and from gcc 2.96 -> 3.3.1 and recompiled the driver (dvb 1.0.0) and VDR 1.2.2.

Now at bootup, vdr fails to start because the driver has not loaded - it is being continuously restarted by the runvdr script.

The odd thing is that if I manually execute the rc.local script, everything starts fine.

It looks like a permissions/environment issue, but after almost a day of checking and tinkering, I have run out of ideas. Prior to the above gcc/kernel updates I had been running the same driver/VDR version.

Regards,

Richard