[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: vdr-streamdev-0.1.0 _and_ -0.1.1beta1 (Client/Server Streaming)

At Donnerstag, 25. September 2003 23:24 André Weidemann wrote:
> I wanted Windows Media-Player 9 to open the following location:
> http://video:3000/8
> After a few minutes I got tired of waiting for the Media Player to
> connect so I simply ended the process. I also let it run for more than
> 15 minutes and it did not connect.

Did you try the various stream types? (e.g. in VDR's Setup Menu, entry "HTTP
Stream type" or via http://video:3000/PS|PES|TS/8)

> Network traffic on the VDR box never goes above 400kbit/s the entire
> time (according to iptraf).
> And... sometimes I get an Unkown Picture Type (4 or 6) error. This is
> the *first* time that it ever showed up on my machine :-(.
> VDR has 15-20% CPU usage on my 900Mhz Duron when I try to connect with
> the Media-Player. When I stop trying, it goes down to 8%.
>
> I tried something funny...
> I open Mozilla and typed in the exact same location from above.
> It started downloading the file 8.mpeg. After a few seconds I restarted
> vdr so that Mozilla would write the data to the disk. (If I canceled
> dowloading the stream, Mozilla would dump the download.)
> I then used the Media-Player to play the downloaded file and it worked
>
> :P. It was a bit choppy at the beginning but got clear after 2 seconds...
>
> Any ideas on why Media-Player does not accept the stream directly but
> plays it after it has been downloaded?

Maybe it doesn't read enough data to identify the stream correctly... I
would suggest now to increase the cache (or pre-buffer more precisely), but
I've got no idea how to do that in WMP, sorry...

Greetings,
Sascha