[vdr] Re: vdradmin blocks LIRC thread

Peter Evertz wrote:

> I have about 1200 entries in the channels.conf and a EPG File of about 2.5
> MByte.
> When vdradmin scans for autotimers, the thread for SVDR is blocked for about
> 10-20 seconds. Unfortantly it is the same thread handling the Remote
> Commands from LIRC. So every 10 minutes the RC is blocked. That is very
> disturbing while zapping around ( and I zap a lot !).
> Very bad is also that the keys pressed on the RC are queued up. So if I
> press a buttons three times for switching to the next channel without a
> reaction, after the block is removed the channel# is increased by 3.
> (Even more complicated reactions when navigating the menus).
>
> Are there others with the same problem?
> Is there a solution for that problem ?
> May be differend threads ?
> I have reviewed the code, but I seems that spliting the SVDR and LIRC
> handling in different threads is not so easy because they are merged in the
> interface.c.
>
> Any ideas ?

One thing I could think of would be to tag each EPG entry
with a timestamp and allow the LSTE command to request
only those EPG entries that have changed since a given time.
This would dramatically reduce the amount of data actually
transferred, and vdradmin could concentrate on things that are
actually new.

However, this can oly be done after I have reworked the EPG stuff,
since currently EPG entires are pretty much changed all the
time because of the "EPG bugfixes". If the above suggestion would
be beneficial for vdradmin (and maybe other tools) I'll keep
it in mind for 1.3.x.

Klaus