[vdr] Re: Drop support for multiple video dirs? [was: FeatureRequest]

hi
- why removing a feature, that does not disturb anybody (nobody _has to_ use it!?),
Because it causes trouble and needs to be maintained?
ok i see...

it is an option! -> maybe leave it at least as compiler switch
I'd really prefer to drop it altogether.
- with raid (stripes) i have the same problem (even worse!!) as the problems with a
crashed drive with the vdr solution. -> when the raid stripe crashes, there is nothing
left... (not even parts of recordings)

I was thinking more along the lines of having a RAID system that
can survive the death of one of its drives (I have no own
experience with RAID, but AFAIK this would be RAID5).

In my world a "normal" VDR has a (single) disk with something
around 40-80GB, which is way enough for the average couch
potato. If you build a system with a lot more disk space,
you need to plan for the death of a drive, so I guess a real
RAID5 would be best.
yes this would be raid5 oder raid10 (1,0 combined), both solution need extra drives.
in my vdr world, there a periods of weeks, when i cannot watch much tv. so i record very much and afterwards have a big archive of things i am interested in..

anyway: for me a drive can crash...hey its just some movies. but it is bad that the material on the other drives are then garbage too. that is just suboptimal :).
and extra drives (at least 1 for raid5 and at least 2 for raid10) is no option/unneeded option.

but i understand that there a only few users (like me) who use this... and if this subdirectory solution works....ok. i have got no experience with this.

bye.

(manuel hartl / it services)
(web - http://www.hartl-it.de)