[vdr] Re: vdradmin blocks LIRC thread

Peter Evertz wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2003 at 15:32, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> > Peter Evertz wrote:
> > > May be differend threads ?
> > > I have reviewed the code, but I seems that spliting the SVDR and LIRC
> > > handling in different threads is not so easy because they are merged in the
> > > interface.c.
> > >
> > > Any ideas ?
> >
> > One thing I could think of would be to tag each EPG entry
> > with a timestamp and allow the LSTE command to request
> > only those EPG entries that have changed since a given time.
> > This would dramatically reduce the amount of data actually
> > transferred, and vdradmin could concentrate on things that are
> > actually new.
> >
> > However, this can oly be done after I have reworked the EPG stuff,
> > since currently EPG entires are pretty much changed all the
> > time because of the "EPG bugfixes". If the above suggestion would
> > be beneficial for vdradmin (and maybe other tools) I'll keep
> > it in mind for 1.3.x.
> >
> > Klaus
> The timestamp solution is a smarter solution, but i think more
> complicated than different threads.
> "Normal" unix-servers like in.telnetd, sshd etc. spawn themselfes when
> getting a connection, this makes the programming of the server easy
> (you only have to care of "your" client and nobody else) and makes
> things independent (if a client messes up the server, only this server is
> blocked , and nothing else ).

The problem here is that this would most likely require
quite a bit of additional locking mechanisms to avoid
conflicts between user interaction and SVDRP commands
that might, for instance, both try to modify some timers
(actually this might already be a problem as it is if a user
edits a timer in the menu and an SVDRP command modifies
the timers at the same time...).

I'll keep this on my stack and try to get back to it later.

Klaus