[vdr] Re: recordings file naming question

Richard Jones wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   I'm unsure how VDR is arriving at the filename/directory structure it
> is using for my recordings.  I have the following repeating timer:
> 1:T-0-219-1585:------S:1828:1910:50:50:The Foos:
>
> Which results in video stored in:
> /video/The_Foos/_/2003-10-05.18\:28.50.50.rec/
>
> What is the underscore and where is it coming from? I also have
> this config setting:
> UseSubtitle = 1
> which may be relevant (my epg does appear to have subtitle info for some
> programs, but this particular channel does not at least for this
> broadcast have it which I guess is probably the key to the whole thing,
> although all of my recordings have the same directory structure and I
> some of them are from channels which do appear to have subtitles in
> their epg).
>
> The reason I am asking is that vdrconvert has the following code to
> "guess" the filename of recording it is manipulating:
>
>    spalten=`echo $i|sed 's/\// /g'|wc -w`
>    Record=`echo $i|sed 's/\%//g'|cut -f $spalten -d '/'`
>
> This counts the number of "words" in the video pathname after converting
> /'s to spaces and uses that to grab the name it will use for the record
> name, in my case it is grabbing the '_' in the path so that if I wish to
> process several Foos episodes they all get the same filename. Obviously
> I can hack vdrconvert to use a different record name but I'm guessing
> I'm doing something wrong to get that directory structure to start with,
> any ideas?

This is the normal behaviour of VDR when building a recording name.

It takes the "title" from the timer definition ("The Foos" in your case)
and tries to find the episode name from the EPG data. If there is no
episode name to be found, a blank character is used instead. Finally,
all blanks are replaced with underscores (I hate blanks in file names).

The reason for the "dummy" episode name is that typically a regular
timer shall produce a directory that contains named entries for
its various episodes.

Using just the episode name when handling such a recording is
probably not a good idea in case you want to handle several
recordings at once. You should use the full name, which,
in your case, would be

The_Foos/_/2003-10-05.18:28.50.50

If you need a flat name you could replace the directory
delimiters ('/') with something else (but that's always a tough
decision which character to use ;-).

Klaus