[vdr] Re: vdr killed my video archive

Hi,

> On 13 Oct 2003 Ingo Janetzki <janetzki@dosco.de> wrote:
>
> > somewhere under the top level recording directory. A simple comparism
> > of the target partition of the current recording and the "delete"
> > partition would be enough to avoid this useless loss of data.

Since I lost some valuable (program) data thanks to Mr. Reiser and his
damn Fs, (different reason same result ;o() I thoroughly understand your
feelings. However, you should *always* backup your favorite films to
DVD. Media is so cheap nowadays and hdds can always go bad, just
as a file system can also screw you. Never trust a running system.

> On 13 Oct 2003 Stefan Huelswitt wrote:
> If you had set the lifetime of the archived recordings to 99
> nothing would have been deleted. So some responsibility for the
> fault is on your side too.

Are you *sure* about this, in the case of split HDDs?? Or are
you assuming he didn't set them to 99? Klaus wrote, quote:

KS>I can understand that you are upset because of this, but
>please understand that the original approach expected only
>one big disk, so it never occured to me that such a check
>would be necessary.

> On 13 Oct 2003 Carsten Koch wrote:
>In the meantime, I'll go through my recordings and assign a
>lifetime of 99 to those I never want to lose.

I always set lifetime to 99. *NEVER* let a computer make
an important decison for you is my motto. As per Murphy's
Law, it will always delete the wrong stuff.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---