[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] transfron-0.3.1 plugin

quoting Steffen Barszus (st_barszus@gmx.de):

> Have you tried with current mpeg2enc yet ? I have converted two movies
> lately with it and it looks very nice (-K kvcd/ SVCD standard
> resolution, 50min/CD ). Using -K tmpegenc is possible too (using tmpeg
> mpeg2 matrix). DVD with a bitrate of 3000+ should be really nice.
> Further "requant" might be usefull too. Anyway, i guess tosvcd is more
> usefull for creating svcd, then transcode, and it has a lot shorter
> dependecy chain. If tosvcd could be integrated in your plugin it would
> be cool, i would use it ASAP.

didn't test recent versions yet, still at mjpegtools-1.6.0.

'transfron' uses this command line for svcd conversions:
transcode -i source/ -y mpeg2enc="-a asr -b bitrate -n p -S junksize -B 224"
 ,mp2enc -Q 5,5 -V -Z 480x576 -F 4 -E 44100 -b 224 -o destFileP -q 0

i tried 'tosvcd' once. nice tool, but it doesn't allow that much control
over the conversion process as using 'transcode' and 'vcdimager' step by step.

i'm not that familiar with dvd-video specifications ( valid resolution, interleaving ). is dvb-mpeg2 video and audio a true subset of dvd-video video and audio?

'requant' promises a fast way to reduce video bitrate, but as fta channels are already quite stingy with bitrate ( 3-4 mbitps ), imho there's no room for further quality reduction.

i really don't understand why vcd/svcd is used that much, dvd+r media is
already cheaper per mb than cdr, and dvd-video a much cleaner ( less streched )
standard.
even mpeg4 capability is getting more and more standard in standalone dvd
players, so why care about vcd, svcd, mvcd, xvcd, ...?

--
                        --- unix _is_ user-friendly ---
                  --- it just decides who his friends are ---