[vdr] Re: Suggestions for tv output?

> > From: Marko Myllymäki
> > The best quality is get by using digital signal from end-to-end, where
> > beamer creates the analog video (light ;) ).
>
> I have been experimenting with this. Problem is that chain is too
*perfect*.
> You start to see too much mpeg artifacts (blocking and color differences)
that
> it looks like you need much software/processing power to make picture
viewable.
> On CVBS we have 'hardware' blur filter which eliminates this problem.. :-)

You are quite right on this one, if we are talking about very poor quality
of Finnish DVB broadcasts, damn under 3000 kbits/sec/channel VBR cannot be
good.

Said that, I am not building this system only for DVB-t, but also want to
view some DVB-s and DVD:s on my VDR-system.

Some speculations which I have heard state that field-doubler/tripler can
have very positive effects to bad mpeg-stream, but never seen this on my own
eyes I only can speculate on this. Too bad these cost like hell.

> But on the other hand computer graphics via DVB -> great, like weather
maps etc.

> I've been doing these tests with VDR recordings and mplayer. I haven't
tried
> mplayer-filters (denoise, deblocking etc), just deinterlace.

> Best regards, Jori Hämäläinen

Please do keep the list or at least me :) informed of your findings on your
quest to get good picture using software methods.

Br,
Marko Myllymäki