[vdr] Re: Which Distro ?

Gentoo works great with a VDR system.
I started with vdr in early 2002 on a SuSE based system but quickly saw that all these distributions with version x.y suffer from the same problem: At a certain point you will not be able to get any updates, even for critical parts of the system.
Since the main objective for my VDR-system was to watch TV and not to reinstall it every 6-9 month I decided to go with Gentoo.

I agree that setting up Gentoo took some time, but I'm still running the same system and have always the ability to be up to date with all packages. A lot of "supporting" packages that are required for VDR plugins are available as gentoo ebuilds, even up-to-date vdr ebuilds are available from Berlios.
But I was even more impressed by the perfomance gain of the system by experimenting with c-compiler options (especially -O) which are used for the whole system then.
E.g. without caring too much about tweaks and tuning on my SuSE system I had network (NFS) throughput of about 60Mbps, now reaching >96Mbps with the same hardware (and again without caring about tuning except initially following the setup steps from Gentoo).

That being said I don't think Gentoo is the right distribution for Linux beginners and there are other distributions which do not suffer from the lifecycle problem (such as Debian afaik)...

Best regards,
Christian

Brian McKerr wrote:
Dirk Essl wrote: