[vdr] Re: HF-Modulator

Hi,

Marc Lentwojt wrote:
Hi,

Did you thought about a radio based video and audio signal transmission?

Andreas

Yes, i`ve thought and tried that already, but my house is full of steel,
and so I have the problem with signalquality and "ghost-pictures".
So I have to transmit via cable. I think, I will give the modulator a try.
I run the vdr with a 2.4GHz based video/audio transmission. I had the same problems with the steel in the concrete walls. My solution is to "improve" the antenna of the transmitter. In one of the last years c't there was article about WLAN antennas (same frequency range) made of a coffee tin and a Pringles tin. So I started to experiment with a coffee tin. The result didn't conviced me, so tried a bigger tin. Now I use an old baby food tin ( h=20cm, d=15cm) and it works quit good. To couple the transmitter with the "antenna", I cut a slot big enough for the original transmitter antenna in to the tin ( approx. 3 cm above the bottom of the tin) then I put the transmitter antenna in to this slot and fasten it with some tape. It seems that the whole systems depends on the polarization of the transmitted signal and that the steel in the concrete walls rotates the polarization. Due to this the transmitter is operated upside-down. The whole construct looks rather ugly, but it works fine.
For the 466MHz back channel for the IR control I had to solder a long isolated wire to the 466MHz. The biggest problem was to find a good position for this wire. It seems that the tin disturbes the internal 466MHz antenna.

Michael
Thanks for all answers and ideas.

Kind regards

Marc