[vdr] Re: DTS possible with ac3overdvb 0.2.4 and 1.2.6 ??

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:23:55AM +0100, Johannes Schoeller wrote:
> hi all
>
> has anyone tested playback of DTS audio cds?
>
> i use ac3overdvb 0.2.4 on vdr 1.2.6. as well i use the ide-scsi driver for
> my pioneer 106s dvd drive on kernel 2.4.18.
>
> playback of ac3 audio works flawlessly. but playback of dts audio cds make
> troubles. i start the mp3 plugin (0.8.2) and choose audio-cd (cdfs mounted).
> it mounts the cd and starts playback. the first track only plays back as
> pink noise. then i change to track 2,3 ect.. and the sound goes off and the
> DTS signal of my receiver goes on/off all the time w/o any soundoutput.
>
> i remember that it DID work some time ago (the last time i tried it - about
> a year ago or so). so i know that my receiver and all the hardware can do
> it.

Hmmm ... AFAIK the DTS audio stream from a real DTS Audio CD is very
different to the DTS payload of the Private Stream 1 used by Mpeg2
from a Video DVD.  The later is parsed by AC3overDVB and bitstreamout
to get the DTS payload and embbed any DTS data frame into a PCM frame
with the appropiate format and length ... the DTS from a real DTS Audio
CD _is_ already embbed in an appropiate PCM stream.

Personally I'm playing real DTS Audio CD simply with my CD/DVD-Player as
normal Audio CD ... and as long the data is received as PCM with the
S/P-DIF connection and _not_ with the analog cinch connection the decoder
does its work.  In other words: simply play Audio CD and enforce a pure
digital connection to your A/V receiver.

          Werner