[vdr] Re: qestion about thread priorities-> suggestion

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:18:21 +0100, Guido Fiala <gfiala@s.netic.de>
wrote:

> Not sure about it, but it seems, that all vdr-threads have the same priority,
> IMHO at least something like the cutting-thread should have a lower priority
> than a recording thread, that in case performance get's critical the
> recording and playback get's more cpu time than the cutting or other lower
> priority tasks as cleanup etc.

The problem with cutting is normally not a problem of cpu priority, it
is a problem with used disk bandwidth. Since a long time I add a
usleep() into the cutter thread to limit the used bandwidth to about 2
MB/s. This way the response time stays acceptable.

For 1.3 it would be nice to have a general solution which limits the
disk bandwidth used for cutting and to bybass the buffer cache for
reading and writing the video files.

Emil