[vdr] Re: Can vdr work without antenna? (play recordings)

Am Monday 15 March 2004 16:50 schrieb Gregor Lawatscheck:
> and new firmware even with the front-end loaded or does the frontend
> have to be unloaded for the stable 1.3? The other question is whether

Mmm - my test showed, that _without_ the ves1x93 module the ARM crashes
instantly and forever. So, somehow the few things done in
ves1x93-init-chip-function hinder the ARM from crashing instantly.

My thought is, that for some unknown reason the ves1x93 looses it's
initialisation and therefore the ARM crash appears.

Is it possible to check out the configuration-registers by reading them back
and compare them from time to time with the init-values and rewrite them in
case something has changed?

Or - more easily - simply call an ves1x93-inti every once in while.
I wanted to do this test last week, but didn't find the right position in the
driver where to put that piece of code...
ents to
BTW - i have 2 1.3 cards with both having ves1x93 chips, both crashing exactly
the same way, the optical artifacts also appear similar. We might compare
"screenshots" of that artifacts, but i assume the are the same anywhere.

> Starting and stopping replay seems to provoke the crash more easily.
> Heavy channel changing will crash it within half an hour or shorter.
> Replaying a live stream might work for hours but will eventually crash
> as well - even if vdr is told not to tune to other transponders to fetch
> EPG data.

Exactly my results too. Also using the jump 1min+- function triggers it sooner
or later.

> It looks as though some check to tune fails somewhere internally or
> isn't caught before timing out. It seems as though most of the time it
> returns some value that it can't tune, the driver / firmware is OK with
> it. Sometimes it might not return something in quite a while or hang
> itself up in the process - if that happens it crashes. At that point
> what can the driver / firmware do... hard reset the card I guess. It's

Is it possible, that there is some condition on the DVB-cards I2C-bus
triggering resets of chips?

Guido