[vdr] Re: dvbsubs, recordings etc.

Hello Jordi,

--On den 16 mars 2004 12:12 +0100 Jordi Vilà <jvilasub@tinet.org> wrote:

I'll try to summarize:
- Plugin compiles ok with VDR 1.2.5 but it fails with 1.2.6:
  patching file recorder.c
  Hunk #3 FAILED at 40.
I suppose you have another patch installed, it pathes ok
for me. But look in the recorder.c.rej, it should be
easy to find what didn't work and patch it by hand.

- Let's take this channel as an example:
  C+Cine2:11891:V:S30.0W:27500:163:93,92:41:101:5:49:4:0
- _With_ ttxtsubs plugin compiled and loaded, I tune to C+Cine2 and I get
on console:
  ttxtsubs: No teletext subtitles on channel.
- Even changing definition of channel and removing TPID, same message is
displayed.
Below it seems that you are using an old version of ttxtsubs that
on some channels won't find teletext information even when there
are some (due to a byte swapping bug that never bite me but others).
You may need 0.0.5pre2: <http://www.nada.kth.se/~ragge/vdr/ttxtsubs/>
Maybe you have downloaded the old version from one of those
strange websites that has for a hobby keeping old software around
instead of referring to the source so that people can get the
latest version. I wish they could stop doing that.

You probably won't need to repatch, only recompile the plugin,
but see the release notes for patch compatibility.

By the way:
ttxtsubs doesn't care about the TPID setting since TPID can
potentially be a different PID than the teletext subtitles
PID(s) (though I have never seen that.)
ttxtsubs finds out what it wants from the Service Information
that is sent with the channel.

- _Without_ ttxtsubs plugin compiled, when I switch to C+Cine2 I get
subtitles on teletext page 801, which I select with my TV remote.
There is a firmware limitation in the full featured cards that
makes it not be able to transmit teletext on the video out port
if you at the same time decode it or do anything else with the
teletext PID. In addition, the card can't retransmit teletext
from other sources, for example from another card or a recording.

- Setup page for the plugin says
  Language: esl
  Hearing impaired: yes
  Record subtitles: yes
This is what tells me that you are probably using 0.0.4b or older.

Once back without ttxtsubs plugin, when it comes to record this channel
(others have the same behaviour), TPID is dumped out. The more that I've
got is to put TPID as secondary audio so I can see the subtitles using
dvbtextsubs from linuxtv.org.
How do you mean that the TPID is dumped out?
dvbtextsubs is compatible with ttxtsubs recordings too (hurray :-)
but you currently have to know the teletext page to be able to
decode it.

As it would be perfectly ok to me to have recordings with another track
with TPID, being reproduced from a recording, I asked yesterday how
difficult would it be to treat TPID just like another audio channel, for
example, and have it replayed from file.
You can actually do it by just setting DPid1 = the TPID, but it
won't get any language information stored with it.
ttxtsubs does something very similar, but also generates a
language index so that it later can find the correct page for
your language.

/ragge