[vdr] Re: StillPicture (I-frame) decoding with ffmpeg

Hello Stefan,

On 04/14/04 09:13, Stefan Lucke wrote:
does someone know how this works ?

Even after calling the decoder with:
	avcodec_decode_video(context,picture,&got_picture,NULL,0);
got_picture is still false.
I noticed several anomalies with the mpeg2 decoder from libavcodec.

1) As you already noticed, "got_picture" is wrong after an I-Frame has been put to the decoder. For some unknown reason, the decoder delays the delivery.

2) If you start to deliver an new GOP, starting with the I-Frame, libavcodec throws away the whole GOP (normally 12 frames!) and starts with the next I-Frame it gets. If you start in the middle of a GOP, then it will catch the I-Frame, but only after the delay mentioned in 1)

Is there another trick ?
Stefan Lucke
I published my problems on the libavcodec mailing list, but none of the developers has been interested in fixing these problems so far.

I'm looking for debugging these problems, but the libavcodec code is rather obfuscated and I currently don't have the time. 8-(

CU
Michael.