[vdr] Re: Viaaccess 2.0 + CAM

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:52:24AM +0200, Tomas Sävenstedt wrote:
>    My CAM module is upgradable. Problem is that it´s not supported by
>    Boxer and therefore there is no way of upgrading from them.
>
>    Question is how to upgrade the module. To buy a new one is expensive.

As far as I know there is an adult channel on the Hot Bird
satellite that carries the upgrade software. It should be on
12092H but a bit of googling may be a good idea.

I am using a RedCam with DVB-C, and when the provider switched
to Viaccess 2, I had a friend upgrade the CAM for me using that
channel. They had me worried for a bit there. The new card from
the provider just resulted in the CAM Menu saying "Insert smart
card". This was less than a week after I purchased the DVB card :-)

I don't know the specifics regarding the upgrade but all it takes
is a (friend with a) CI-based satellite receiver and a dish capable
of receiving Hot Bird channels.

The only bad thing about this is that it took me so long to find
the solution that I missed the three weeks that the new card made
all the pay channels available for free. On the other hand, now I
don't know what I'm missing :-)

/Klaus.