[vdr] Re: idea concerning new OSD interface

Matthias Raus wrote:
Hi, something came to my mind regarding the new OSD plugin interface. As Klaus said, the interface would be as general as possible. Does this only affect WHAT is shown on the OSD, or can the plugin also control HOW this will be shown? Example: The Windows software "watchtvpro" has the ability that an OSD window can be faded in and out gradually; in an older version of that software the OSD windows even used to slide in and out of the TV screen. I hope you get what I mean. I don't know if you, Klaus, have already thought about this. If this plugin interface should become as general as possible, it should also permit such things. Take it just as an idea that you could keep in mind...
Knowing Klaus, I'd guess he will never implement gimmics such as fading
or sliding windows.

Of course that's a matter of taste.

I mostly share Klaus' "Keep It Simple" taste, at least I would not
welcome changes that make the use of VDR slower or its development
a lot more complex.

If it does not slow down VDR and if the modification is relatively
simple (like the beautiful fonts that so far have not made it into
the standard distribution), I would be in favor of "optical improvements".
But better stability and performance and new capabilities should always
come first.

Just my $0.02. :-)

Carsten.