[vdr] strange performance problems (K6-2 300/500 & vdr >= 1.2.x)

Hello,

I used a K6-2 (Chompers) 300 MHz with two DVB cards, VDR 1.2.6. CPU
usage was ok for two recordings, but doing parallel recordings resulted
in errors. CPU usage ran too high, causing buffer overflows.

Now I updated to a K6-2 (Sharptooth) 500 MHz. To my surprise, CPU
usage went even higher, also with only one recording the usage was
sometimes 100% and I had many "buffer sync errors" (errors in the
recordings). Very strange.

I ran that newer CPU at 300 MHz. CPU usage again was too high.

At last, I inserted the old "Chompers" 300 MHz CPU. Now cpu usage is
sometimes at 70%, but usually not higher. (!)

Why does VDR and the new drivers behave so unpredictable?
I mean, eating up the whole CPU power. Usually I would assume if
I replace the CPU with one that has twice the power, cpu usage
should be one half of the old value.
BTW: About 50% usage were the vdr processes, the other ~50% was
"system" (using "top").

I tested with drivers from 11/2003 and current drivers, VDR 1.2.6
and 1.3.6. I had never such problems with the older dvb 0.9.4/vdr 1.0.4.

What should I do? Buy something like a Celeron 1 Ghz (hopefully vdr
doesn't use 100% CPU then) or is it possible that someone speeds up
the code some day that now needs more cpu power?

Bye, Uwe.