From: vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org] On Behalf Of
Klaus Schmidinger
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 2:50 PM
To: vdr@linuxtv.org
Subject: [vdr] Re: Live TV freeze when recording starts normal?

Michal Dobrzynski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen this mentioned before many times by various people and I'm
> not sure what the status is.
>
> Is the freeze of live TV when a recording starts (does not ALWAYS
> happen but certainly a majority of the time) an acknowledged problem or
> is it one that Klaus is not able to reproduce or identify the cause of?

I assume this is a system with only one DVB card, so that the recording
starts on the primary card, right? What exactly is the constellation when
this problem occurs? I mean, which channel is on live, and on which channel
does the recording start? Are these on the same or different transponders?

> Perhaps we should start compiling a list of configurations under which
> this happens?
>
> The primary users of VDR in my household are my parents and I basically
> have to be the remote control. They find anything other than channel
> changing FAR too complicated. When the channel freezes (sometimes the
> image is a bit corrupted sometimes it just stops) they NEVER seem
> capable of remembering that simply switching to that channel again will
> fix the problem. Would it perhaps be possible to ad an option to auto
> change channel to the current channel immediately after a recording
> starts on another channel?

If the recording is on the same channel as currently viewed live, there
already is an automatic switch to that channel, because it has to go into
Transfer Mode. If it is a different channel on the same transponder, this
should not disturb live viewing. And if it is on a different transponder
the same as in the first case applies, because the previous live channel
is no longer available, so VDR will switch to the same channel as is
currently
recording.

> P.S. On the topic of complexity of control is there any chance that the
> OSD (in terms of how it functions rather than how it looks) will become
> configurable? ie full control over which button does what in which
> screen.

And what exactly should this be good for?

Klaus

subject.