[vdr] Re: Wrong EPG on RTL2?

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Rene Bartsch wrote:

> > C'mon, who needs EPG ? Timer should be good enough. And for that low
> > datarate (hey, before using DVB I had to connect my TV via DV-Box
> > which lead to 3.5 MB/s !) it shouldn't be a problem to give one hour
> > extra on both ends.
>
> Fine, but what for do I have Autotimer then? I do not want to waste my time
> checking each soap we record.

1. I never trust those EPG guys. I can remember VPS: it seldom works correctly,
   those automatic systems always have failures or the people who write it
   into the systems making mistakes etc. So much can fail with such systems,
   I'm always better by hand.

2. Wasting time by clicking 60 times green ? This is a minute almost. And
   fine-tuning always is a must, my tries of recording shows via EPG
   resulting in 1 to 5 minutes before and 1-5 minutes after the show.
   That's the point of losing time but normally you have to do this anyway.
   And if you think about searching for those shows you want to record I
   recommend Teletext or even the websites of the stations. Sure: here you
   will lose time but I think they do it to let you see more ads (on the
   web page, in the teletext etc.), at least they have to live from
   something.

> If it's a fault of RTL2 we should contact them.  That's been why I've asked if
> anyone else has this problem or if it's a local problem of mine!

Are you sure that they will really do what you want ? At least they wanna
sell ads with it and to give a full EPG means to have fewer people watching
ads before and after the show. In fact they are really struggling right now
with digital recorders. It's much easier and faster to jump over the ads
today than to VHS tape times, they really fear that at the freetv stations.
This maybe one of the first steps to cope with the new technologies...:(

Maybe I'm wrong but if I'm wrong just tell me why they should give out
perfect data for the EPG ?

Mermgfurt,
		Udo
--