[vdr] Re: remux.c: splitting PES packets into 2048 byte blocks

Ragnar Sundblad wrote:

--On den 10 maj 2004 00:04 +0200 Reinhard Nissl <rnissl@gmx.de> wrote:

what's the reason for splitting PES packets into smaller ones with 2048
(= IPACKS) bytes?

I have a problem with that, when I want to replay dolby audio (AC3) with
xine. xine's demuxer currently expects the AC3 data to be supplied in
one big block (the original PES packet, as it was transmitted in the TS).
I have ignored this problem in my plugin (ttxtsubs) since teletext
packets never are that large, but I know that the DVB subtitles
plugin uses some header trick to be able to find its packets
after the split.
I use the PES' extension header to tag subtitling IPACKs. Using these tag I could recreate the original PES-packet. I implemented my decoder so that I can feed it PES-fragments so I don't really do the receationg.

If you (rnissl) know which IPACKs are AC3 (the problem that ragge explained) it's pretty easy to recreate the original PES packet. The first IPACK-contains the original header and the following ones have special header with the ORIGINAL_OR_COPY bit set to COPY.

btw, Klaus would you be interested in integrating the recording patch from subtitles? It would enable to record many PRIVATE_STREAM_1's, e.g. AC3 tracks. Currently it's not that generic but that would be possible.

-- pekka

-- pekka