[vdr] Re: No TV signal for xine plugin

Hi,

Tuomas Jormola wrote:

I patched and installed xine-lib and xine-ui per instructions in INSTALL file of xine-plugin 0.3.4 and they're fine. I compiled VDR 1.3.9 and the plugin against said xine library. So far so good. When I start VDR with the plugin enabled, it's working great with my TV (old, small and crappy, that's why I want output to the large LCD monitor) connected to the TV-out of the DVB card. VDR menus, changing channels, EPG etc. work ok so VDR and my DVB setup is fine. However, when I open the VDR MRL with xine, it'll only show the NO SIGNAL stream from the .pes file in plugin's data directory. No output from the card to xine player at all. Changing channels don't affect the situation while output on the TV is still ok. Also connection between the plugin and xine player should be ok. The FIFOs under /tmp are created and "vdr-xine: Client connected!" is printed to the VDR console, no errors reported.

My system is Linux 2.6.5 with stock DVB drivers and Technotrend DVB-C 2.1 Premium card, VDR 1.3.9, xine-plugin 0.3.4 and xine-lib 1.0.0rc4 (not from CVS but the released tarball). Any suggestions what could be wrong and where to start debugging? I'm not afraid to poke the code, but some pointers would be nice since I'm not familiar with VDR's or plugin's inner functionality.
So you have a so called FF (full featured) card. Therefore, VDR doesn't start a transfer thread as in the case of budget cards. It's the transfer thread, that is missing in your case, which would transfer the MPEG data from the receiving card (e. g. your FF card or my budget card) to the vdr-xine device plugin. That's why you don't see anything besides NO SIGNAL, which is send by the plugin on it's own.

I'm sorry, but I don't know, how to enable the transfer thread for FF cards. I hope that someone on the mailing list is able to help you.

Just an idea:
VDR uses the first device for OSD and replay, that announces itself to have a MPEG decoder. As you have a FF card with decoder and my plugin never gets created before any real device, the OSD and replay goes to the FF card. Maybe it's enough to go in VDR's setup menu into OSD, and to select there device 2 to get it working.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de