[vdr] Re: VDR pidfile

I demand that Roland Behme may or may not have written...

> Hi Darren,
>> Assuming Debian:
>>   $ man 8 start-stop-daemon

> It's Gentoo.
> I tried start-stop-daemon, but it does not seem to be the solution:

> vdr root # /etc/init.d/vdr start
>  * Starting VDR...                                                          [ ok ]
> vdr root # cat /var/run/vdr.pid
> 3277
> vdr root # pidof vdr
> 3288 3287 3286 3285 3284 3282 3281 3280 3279
> vdr root # kill -s 0 3277
> -bash: kill: (3277) - No such process

Hmm...

> The startscript looks like this:

> -- snip --------------------------------------
>         start-stop-daemon --start \
>         --background \
>         --make-pidfile \
>         --pidfile /var/run/vdr.pid \
>         --exec /usr/local/bin/vdr -- -d -l 3 \
>                 -L /usr/local/lib \
>                 ... even more options
> -- snip --------------------------------------

> It seems like VDR returns a wrong PID or the VDR-process started by
> start-stop-daemon terminates after making some children [...].

The latter, I'd say. I had some... interesting problems with the Debian
runvdr script, so I rewrote it in C; you may find it to be of some use. It's
somewhere in
<URL:http://zap.tartarus.org/~ds/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/misc/vdr_1.3.11-2.ds.diff.gz>

Also in that file, there's a patch for vdr which causes it to exit on SIGUSR1
unless it's recording. (The shutdown-delay thread suggests that other checks
are needed; patches welcome...)

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   Let's keep the pound sterling

Is this yours? Your dog left it on my lawn...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index