[vdr] Re: Failing to compil with 2.6.8-rc2

* Christian Gmeiner <christian@visual-page.de> [040728 03:40]:

> It's not possible to compile vdr with a 2.6.8-rc2 and dvb-cvs drivers

> How can i fix this?

> g++ -O3 -mcpu=pentium3 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -funroll-loops -pipe \
> [snip; "__user" problem]
Shouldn't that be /usr/include/linux/videodev.h from linux-kernel-headers
or some equivalent package?
Yes, that's a typical error you get when you are using kernel headers in
userspace, i.e. you have symlinked /usr/include/{asm,linux} to
/usr/src/linux/include/{asm,linux} or something alike.

> I have updated to the newest linux-headers (gentoo-box), but the problem
> is still here.

Hmm. If the headers which you're using *do* come from that package,
there's only one thing to do: report a bug.

> http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=linux-headers
> linux-headers-2.4.22
Linux headers from 2.6 kernels have been available in gentoo for along
time -I remember I removed my own package a few months ago already-,
only they have been masked. They are now in a separate ebuild,
linux26-headers, mandatory if you use gcc-3.4, also masked.

I'm fairly sure that __user is markup to indicate which pointers have
been passed in from userspace. Consequently, if you're still planning
on using the headers for your current kernel, you'll need "-D__user".

> Where must i add "-D__user"?

CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS.

I will try it.. thanks.
Christian, your problem is that while you're using a 2.6 kernel and even
dvb-cvs drivers, you are trying to compile vdr against linux-2.4.22
headers. Emerge linux26-headers and that'll solve your problem. Be aware
that they are masked, AFAIK, so you'll have to unmask them and in case
you keep using them -which you should, since there are not major problems
anymore with nearly any package within gentoo, at least among those I
use- you could take the time to re-compile glibc and take advantage of
the features in your 2.6 kernel :)

If you have more gentoo specific questions feel free to mail me off list
;)

--
Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding.

Javier Marcet <javier@marcet.info>