[vdr] high CPU load with vdr-1.3.12

I noticed that since upgrading from vdr-1.2.6 to vdr-1.3.12, one of
the vdr processes is constantly consuming a lot of CPU cycles. When I
just watch a live TV channel, the usage is around 50%. Althoug the CPU
is slow (200 MHz), just watching TV shouldn't cause that much load I
think. With version 1.2.6, the CPU usage is 0%. I'm running the 2.6.7
kernel, and use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 for the 1.3.12 version.

I suspect that this high load is the cause of the occasional picture
distortions and freezes that I'm experiencing, especially when
recording (which causes the load to go up even higher). Strace shows
that the process is mostly doing the following system calls:

  poll(..., 8, 1000);
  read(16, ..., 4096);
  read(17, ..., 4096);

This seems to be code from sections.c.

Is such a high load normal? Is there something I can do to avoid it?

--
Dick Streefland                    ////               De Bilt
dick.streefland@xs4all.nl         (@ @)       The Netherlands

Home | Main Index | Thread Index