[vdr] Re: VDR/Xine video integration (was ANNOUNCE vdr-xine-0.4.3plugin)

Hi,

Reinhard Nissl wrote:

Thomas Weber wrote:

The UI must be completely controlable from within vdr. Also we need some feedback from the UI. Hence there needs to be a bidirectional communication channel in some form (domain socket, tcpip, shared mem, whatever). All of the current xine plugin OSD code has to go into the new UI as well.

I'd like to avoid this, if possible.

I even don't like patching xine-ui to much, as every new feature (e. g. remote control) must be reimplemented in all other frontends too, to make them available for the users. And there are quite a lot frontends, as you can see on xine's home page.

Some different ideas:
1.) Why not writing a "super" demuxer plugin, which is a wrapper for the real demuxer plugins. Then it should be much easier to switch to a different demuxer, but the VDR part (something similar to the mplayer plugin) would then have to determine and select the correct demuxer plugin.

2.) Or what do you think about opening a second stream from within input_vdr? Despite what I wrote in the previous email, it should be worth a try. The second stream would use the same video and audio output as the first stream and finding the proper plugins to handle it would be done by xine-lib itself. And VDR's OSD would still be provided by the first stream.

I hope, you don't mind, that I'm not so happy with your suggested approach. But I would be very thankful, if you could find time to do some research on idea 2. As I'm currently getting ready for inclusion of input_vdr into xine, I won't find the time to do it myself.

Hey! I dont mind, of course ;-) Approach 2 looks fine to me.
Sadly my time is very limited and i'm not familiar with AV programming at all. If i get, however, some spare time, i could try to look into this stuff.

Yet another idea how to do it :
3)
- we are doing a pair of a output- and input-plugin for xine-lib
- the vdr uses xine-lib to play divx and other formats and "forwards" the frames with the new output-plugin to the xine-ui.
- xine-ui uses its own xine-lib instance and a matching input-plugin for our stream format.

This way we could even get network transparency and another approach to stream a complete vdr environment to another client.
Stream/MRL switching wouldnt be needed anymore and it would fit very well into the xine architecture.

Greetings,

--
Thomas Weber

Home | Main Index | Thread Index