[vdr] Re: bitstreamout and 2.6.8-rc3 ?

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:02:49PM +0200, Gregoire Favre wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:19:37AM +0200, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
>
> > Hmmm ... which ALSA version is used by this kernel or do you use an other
> > one?  Which sound card do you use?
>
> I use the ALSA that's in the kernel 2.6.8-rc4 : 1.0.4
>
> > Maybe you should detect which device is valid for replaying
> > PCM through the S/P-DIF out of the sound card.
> >
> > For the first card this would be
> >
> >      find /proc/asound/card0 -name info | xargs grep IEC958
> >
> > ... then you may try to configure bitstreamout within the
> > plugin menu of VDR. Default is first card (number 0) and
> > third device (number 2). But your card may use an other
> > device for _raw_ PCM out.  Nevertheless bitstreamout tries
> > to use the autodetection of ALSA for the _raw_ PCM out and if
> > this fails it tries the device #2.  It seems that both fail
> > with your card.
>
> I have an SBlive, and in /udev/snd :
>
> controlC0 hwC0D0 hwC0D2 midiC0D0 midiC0D1 midiC0D2 pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p pcmC0D1c
> pcmC0D2c pcmC0D3p seq timer
>
> Is it right that it should be pcmC0D3p ?

I do not havbe a SBlive around.

> Do you know an option to test this with mplayer/xine also ?

I do not use mplayer/xine together with SBlive.  With the
CMI8738 onboard chip it works as it should.

Btw: a SBlive is not always a SBlive, it depends on the revision
_which_ SBlive works flawless with ALSA.  Sometime the vendor
change the hardware and layout of the SBlive card's.

Try to replay a simple wav sample with aplay and try to get out
a signal throughout the S/P-DIF of the card with the
help of the amixer.  Next step is to replay an AC3 sample with
ac3play.  Note that for the last case it is _recommended_ to
configure the S/P-DIF into _raw_ mode ... any dither or
resampling, oversampling kills the information within the
compressed audio stream.

         Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/