[vdr] Re: vdr-1.3.18: DolbyDigital "stuttering" sound

I have mine set to the 384 and overall seems quite stable, I still do occasionally get the stutter on some channels, don't know if it is channel or show related. But it is definately better than the default 192. So it is just a guess to find the best value, I haven't taken the time to try multiple changes, and also not sure if everyones settings might vary according to their decoder! But it seems so far that the same settings work for the majority. Question is, going too high going to mess something else up? I am not an expert in any of the areas, so I don't know, I saw the reference of it used to be 512 but caused some issues, was those issues in reference to HDTV only or other things in general? If just HDTV, being as the Nexus doesn't use it, I am wondering if changing back to that will help or hinder? I will try and play some more today if I can. Just extremely happy that we are getting somewhere with it, can't complain being as it is all such a fine product anyways, but it is nice to have all features! :) Thanks to all that are going to the effort to help resolve!

christian jacobsen wrote:

Hallo Klaus,

Does your DVB card have 2MB or 4MB SDRAM?

In case it's a 2MB card, which value would you need in
VDR/transfer.c in

if (ringBuffer->Available() < 3 * KILOBYTE(192) / 2)

instead of the default '192'?

Maybe VDR could automatically switch between these two
values, depending

on whether a 2MB or a 4MB card is present.

Yes, that could be a possible solution, but it would be a
lot easier to

test if I did not have to recompile everytime I chose other
values ;)
Could any one please do that programming for me ? and I
will then test

this.

There won't be such a setup option!
If a higher value helps for 2MB cards, I'll make it use that value
automatically. This buffer is just a workaround, anyway, and I don't
want to manifest it with yet another setup option.

No problem :) important was to know where to change things.

I presume I have to change 192 to a higher value.

Yes.

As also Chad Flynt has reported higher values do help! I did only have 1
hour time to test and only tried 224, 256 and 272.

224 is not enough. 256 does not allways help but it is definetly better
:) only had time to try 272 once and it seemed worse that 256, but I did
not have time to restart VDR and retry. I will try 384 tonight and see
if it is better :)

Greetings
Christian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index