[linux-dvb] /dev/video*

Frederic CAND frederic.cand at anevia.com
Fri Apr 1 15:49:15 CEST 2005

Dominique Dumont wrote:
> Frederic CAND <frederic.cand at anevia.com> writes:
>>I need to know, how to use tvtime, xawtv, etc, with a dvb card ? my
>>card is a twinhan dvb-s, and using dvb-kernel-cvs drivers do not seem
>>to get things work, except i can read on /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
>>(thanks to the "-r" option of szap) ... but /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0
>>is unreadable (no such device), as for /dev/video*
> AFAIK, twinhan card don't have mpeg2 decoder so you cannot extract
> video data from /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0.
> Your only choice is to application with software MPEG2 decoder like
> mplayer. (FTA only)
> If you want to use vdr, you'll have to set up softdevice plugin (or
> may be xine plugin, but I have not tried this one).
>>This could be useful, since vdr (video disk recorder) seems to use
>>/dev/video* ... (I'm about to use it but if tvtime and xawtv could
>>work first, that would be sooooooo great)
> I can use vdr with my Twinhan clone card for FTA channels
> only. De-scrambling does not work.

Well, that doesn't seem good at all ... the idea is just to find
anything that can control the CI module ... if I can just find a
software that can tell whether the CI module is inserted or not, and
descramble the program ... then I don't care using vdr, reading on
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 will be fine as it's MPEG2 TS and it's what I
want ...

CAND Frederic