[linux-dvb] devices in /dev/deb not being created???

Q raid517 at fairadsl.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 02:51:10 CEST 2005

Hi sorry to be a pain. Everything is looking good except that UDEV is
not creating all of the required devices I need in /dev/dvb. I read and
followed the docs that said I needed to

create a new file /etc/udev/scripts/dvb.sh and add the following:

/bin/echo $1 | /bin/sed -e

And then I had to change all the permissions to make it executable etc.
(Actually this step wasn't required as the script already existed).

I then followed the next step which was as follows:

"create a proper udev rule that will create the device nodes
like you know them. All real distributions out there scan the
directory for rule files. The main udev configuration file
will tell you the directory where the rules are, most likely it's

Create a new rule file in that directory called "dvb.rule" and add the
following line:

KERNEL="dvb*", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/scripts/dvb.sh %k", NAME="%c"

Which was easy enough to follow. But still all of my devices aren't
being created.

I simply want my /dev/dvb directory to look and work exactly like it did
when I used MAKEDEV to build my device nodes in the past.

Can anyone please explain how do I do this?

On an interesting note I just discovered, I can tune and watch TV using
Xine - but only one channel at a time, by putting the channel I want to
watch at the top of my channels.conf file. If I try to change the
channel I get an error that says something about there being no plugin
to handle '/dvb://BBC2 (or whatever channel). KAXTV/Kaffeine gives the
same error, although it can't even tune into any single streams.

So I have no clue what isgoing on.

Any hints at all would therefore be very much appreciated.

I am very close to finishing this so I would be very grateful if anyone
could help me make that final push.

Best regards,