[linux-dvb] FIX: No recovery after lost lock

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Wed Aug 24 11:08:39 CEST 2005

Hi,

  I found a big thread on linux-dvb list couple of months old, about problems
with retuning after lost lock.

  I was experiencing the same situation - but only with dvb-kernel drivers.
My old boxes with 2.4.20 kernel and DVB branch never had this problem.
The new box was never able to retune even after signal degradation by heavy
rain or after cable disconnecting/reconnecting.

  My oscilloscope was showing the 22 kHz signal even after lost lock, but the
card was not able to retune. Restarting the application always solved the
problem.

  Finally I found the reason - it's the following code in dvb_frontend.c:

                        /* if we're tuned, then we have determined the correct i
nversion */
                        if ((!(fe->info->caps & FE_CAN_INVERSION_AUTO)) &&
                            (fe->parameters.inversion == INVERSION_AUTO)) {
                                fe->parameters.inversion = fe->inversion;
                        }

  If this is commented out, the frontend is able to retune.

  The card I'm using is:

kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-CI PCI).
kernel: stv0299: try to attach to TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-CI PCI
kernel: stv0299: setup for tuner SU1278 (TSA5059 synth) on TechnoTrend hardware
kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (STV0299/TSA5059/SL1935 based)...
kernel: adapter has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:21:68:15
kernel: budget_ci: CI interface initialised

	With kind regards,

		M.